Purchasing furniture for your home shouldn’t be taken lightly. While small pieces can be purchased in the spur of the moment and switched as your tastes change, other more substantial items should be carefully selected—including a couch. In the internet age, there are seemingly endless options to choose from, and it can be tough to know where to start.
Whether you have a full-size sofa, loveseat, sectional, or settee in mind, you’ll want to know you’re ordering a high-quality piece of furniture from a trustworthy source. We also recommend looking at upholstery and configuration options, as well as delivery and assembly services. Some retailers offer white-glove delivery that will place your couch in the desired location, while others sell options that will require you to assemble them. There are tons of places to buy living room furniture, but a handful of online retailers stand out from the rest.
Here are the best places to buy a couch.
IKEA offers a wide array of couches at different price points, which is part of what makes this retailer so great. Whether you’re looking for an affordable couch to fit your budget or something larger, IKEA has options to meet almost any home decor. Here are some tips before shopping:
1. Browse their online catalog by type of sleeper, size/configuration, and price—or find a sales associate to help point you in the right direction.
2. Check out IKEA’s discontinued items — they often times offer furniture at discounted prices and with no sales tax (in states where applicable). If you don’t see what you like on the website, check regularly as it constantly updates the selection.
3. Check out customer reviews of each product on the website to see what others are saying about their purchase experience—especially when it comes to durability and comfort.
IKEA’s sofa selection can be a bit limited, but for the price you’re paying, it’s worth checking out if that’s what you’re in need of. The retailer also has a wide range of other living room furniture options from decor to bookshelves and desks if you find yourself needing less seating in your home.
The Wayfair family of brands is a one-stop-shop for any type of home decor item imaginable—including couches! Not only does this online retailer sell countless styles and finishes, but they also have a “Fashion and Design” team who stays on top of the hottest trends and color palettes. They offer free shipping and returns, as well as a 100-day return window for items to ensure you’re getting what you want.
Here are some tips before placing your order:
1. Browse their wide selection of sectionals — they feature tons to suit any living space (and budget!)
2. Shop by popular designers like Baker, ASH NYC, Scott’s Antique Hardware, and many more
3. Check out their “Styles We Love” section for design inspiration When it comes time to purchase your couch from Wayfair, be sure to check out these features:
1. Blast from the past: Wayfair offers furniture with character—many of which are mid-century modern or vintage-inspired.
2. Customize your purchase: You can mix and match fabric, leather, and other upholstery colors, as well as their legs, to create the perfect configuration for you.
3. Exhale—it’s covered: Most items come with a 30-day return policy, so if you need some extra time before deciding it’s right for you, no worries!
Wayfair offers free shipping on many orders over $49 or finds store locations near you here.
Overstock touts itself as “the world’s largest online marketplace” providing more than 25 million products across 1400+ categories ranging from home goods to clothing to jewelry at discounted. Similar to Wayfair, you can customize your purchase by mixing and matching fabrics, leathers, wood finishes, and more.
Here are the best places to buy couches from Overstock:
1. Sectionals galore! Overstock offers a wide variety of sectionals at different price points—all for free shipping!
2. Not just furniture: The retailer also carries an expansive selection of accent pieces like rugs, lamps, tables, and ottomans.
3. They come with a great warranty: On select items, you can get 5 years protection for “non-wood structural elements” such as springs and metal bases (you’ll find this information under Customer Care on each product listing).
4. You can return them —for up to 30 days after purchase
Overstock offers free shipping to all 50 states and returns for up to 45 days.
Hayneedle has a unique website that makes browsing by style easy —just select the type of piece you’re looking for (i.e “sectional sofas”), and they’ll narrow down your search accordingly by distinguishing between different styles (so not only will you get sectionals, but also couches, loveseats, etc.). You can even sort options by price or discount to find what’s right for your budget.
Here are some tips:
1. Your one-stop shop: Like Overstock and Wayfair, Hayneedle offers great deals on stylish furniture alongside home décor items like rugs , lamps , planters , and more.
2. You never have to leave the site: All of the couches listed on their website are being sold by Hayneedle, so all you have to do is select your favorite and click “add to cart”!
3. Like a good neighbor: they deliver! Keep in mind that product availability varies depending on location .
Burrow is a direct-to-consumer couch company that offers a unique, modular design that can be customized to fit any living space. Not only do they have an impressive selection of fabrics and leathers to choose from, but you can select the exact configuration you want—whether it’s a standard couch, sectional, or L-shape.
What’s even better? You can trial your new couch for 100 days and return it for free if it’s not exactly what you wanted. Plus, all of their products are made in the USA and come with a 10-year warranty.
Check out their website to see their latest collections and designs.
When it comes to buying a couch, Amazon is a great place to start your search. They have a wide variety of styles and options to choose from, and you can customize your purchase by selecting the color, fabric, and style that’s right for you. Plus, all of their products come with a 30-day return policy, so you can take your time before deciding if it’s the right one for you.
Here are the best deals on couches from Amazon:
1. A portion of your purchase goes toward charity: Amazon will donate 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the charitable organization of your choice.
2. Shop their “Hot Deals” section: Look for sales and so-called “lightning deals” and save up to 40% on select items!
3. Free shipping —on orders over $25 or free two-day shipping with Amazon Prime
If you’re looking for a high-end, designer couch that won’t break the bank, check out Nordstrom Rack! You can find great deals on luxury couches depending on what’s in stock, and you can sort options by price or discount to find what’s right for your budget.
1. We all win: the Rack often sells pieces from brands like Versace, Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, and more at discounted prices—up to 70% off retail!
2. They have a pretty great return policy: You have up to 30 days after delivery to return or exchange items with free shipping both ways!
3. Holiday shopping? Nordstrom Rack is open on Thanksgiving Day this year! So you can stay cozy at home while finishing up your gift list online.
The Home Depot
Need some upgraded furniture for your patio this summer? Or maybe it’s time to spruce up the space you BBQ in throughout the year? The Home Depot has a great selection of bar stools, patio furniture, outdoor umbrellas, and more! Check out their sales and save up to 40% on select items.
1. You can ship nationwide for free: When you purchase an eligible item online while signed in with your. EDU email address, we will ship it to any U.S. address at no cost—no promo code needed!
2. They have a Price Match Guarantee: If you find an item priced lower within 30 days of your purchase at homedepot.com or at a local Home Depot store, they’ll match the price plus beat it by 10%.
3. Get shipping without reaching the $45 minimum: You can add any eligible Home Depot Gift Cards to your online order so they get applied when your purchase is processed, and you’ll still get free shipping!
In need of a few new pieces for the bedroom? Check out Blissliving Home’s selection of pretty bedroom furniture that will have your room looking chic in no time. Their prices are super affordable too—you can save up to 40% on select items with their current discount codes.
1. They have a 365-day return policy : So if it’s not quite right, send it back within a year!
2. Free shipping —on orders over $100 or free two-day shipping with Amazon Prime
Looking for a statement piece to add to your room? Anthropologie has super stylish couches that will give your space that unique look you’ve been hoping for. Check out their current selection and get free shipping with purchases over $150 or free two-day shipping with Amazon Prime.
1. They have a pretty great return policy: If you’re not 100% satisfied with your purchase, you can return it within 60 days of delivery —no matter what the reason!
2. You can shop while logged in with an .EDU email address and get free returns on all eligible orders : No promo code needed—just select your school from the drop-down menu on their homepage when checking out to redeem this offer !
3. Get $50 off your first order of more than $100: When you make a purchase over $100, use this code to get an instant discount on future orders.
Z Gallerie is a great place to find luxury home decor at reasonable prices! They have a huge selection of couches and other furniture in different styles for any room in your house. Use their current promo codes when shopping online and save up to 40% on select items.
1. Free shipping —on all orders when you sign up for their email list
Looking for something classic that will easily fit into your space? Shop Macy’s large selection of furniture today and save 15% with code “HOME” until 10/29. Plus, get free shipping on all orders over $99.
1. They have an awesome return policy : If you’re not 100% satisfied with your purchase, just bring your item(s) back within 60 days of delivery and they will be happy to provide a refund or exchange!
2. You can also shop at Macy’s on Thanksgiving Day this year! So you can stay cozy at home while finishing up your holiday shopping online .
3. Shop their Black Friday deals now: This is the perfect time to save money on decoration for yourself or gifts for others—shop early for the best selection . I hope my list helps make shopping for furniture less stressful this season!
Looking for an accent piece to brighten up your living room? Urban Outfitters has great deals on bar stools , rugs, home decor, and more! Check out their sale section and get 30% off select items.
1. They have free shipping on orders over $50
2. You can save 25% off select home décor purchases of $100 or more with code “HOME25” until 11/14
3. Get free next day shipping on all orders of $150 or more with code “NEXTDAY” now through 11/12.
Ashley Furniture Home Store
Looking for a comfy couch for your family room? Ashley Furniture Home Store has great sales right now on couches and sectionals! Shop their current selection of sofas, loveseats, and more with the best prices online.
1. Get free shipping on all orders over $399 or get free two-day shipping with Amazon Prime
2. You can also choose to pick up your order at a local store to save on shipping costs—and you’ll find numerous locations across the country
Pottery Barn Kids
Pottery barn kids has super fun furniture pieces perfect for kids’ bedrooms! They have such an adorable selection of beds , desks, chairs, and dressers will turn any child’s space into the perfect room.
1. Save up to 20% on your order when you use this code: Enter “HALFOFF” in your shopping bag at checkout to get 20% off furniture purchases totalling over $299, 30% off furniture purchase totalling over $399, or 40% off furniture purchases of $499 or more . Expires 11/15
2. Free shipping on all orders with no minimum purchase requirement
3. You can also save money when you shop in-store—get 15%-30% off in-stock items for a limited time.
Hayneedle offers free shipping on most orders or finds a store location near you here.
Popular Types of Couches
A loveseat is perfect for small spaces because it offers efficient use of space—two seats without taking up too much room! It’s also considered a great option for open floor plans where smaller furniture can help break up large spaces while still allowing people to gather and socialize.
Microfiber is a type of fabric that’s soft and durable—similar to suede, but less expensive! It’s also resistant to stains and easy to clean (and often comes in fun patterns like chevron or stripes!).
A tufted couch features buttons on the back that add texture and definition to its design. This look can add some chic flair to your room—perfect for modern décor!
Chesterfields are English-style couches that have long been associated with luxury. You may have seen them in baroque, traditional, or more formal settings where they’re commonly found in living rooms or offices.
A coffee table is a perfect place to rest your feet, put down some snacks, or display decorative items like books and flowers! They come in a variety of styles—like rustic, modern, farmhouse, etc. Can’t find one you love on Wayfair? Check out these cool repurposed ones!
You’ve probably seen this type of couch before, maybe even with multiple pieces that can be set up however you please depending on how much room you have. When shopping for sectionals, it’s important to consider different configurations so you know what works best for your room! Read more about sectionals here .
Standard sofas typically include one armrest and two or three back cushions. They’re available in a range of styles—from full to queen sleeper sofas, as well as chaises and more!
A cuddle couch is just what it sounds like – larger than your average loveseat but smaller than a sectional sofa. Perfect for cuddling up with your favorite book or binge-watching your favorite show!
Everyone knows leather has always been trendy and stylish, which makes it an easy choice for furniture like couches and chairs (especially if you have pets!). Read more about leather here.
Most often clean-lined and angular, modern couches are an updated version of traditional sofas. They work well in open-concept living spaces where furniture needs to be flexible and stackable.
If you’re looking for a chic modern couch, look no further than Chelsea Sofas! Smaller than average with exposed wood legs, this style has recently become an it-couch—and the name is pretty cool too (after all, it beats calling it something like “modern sofa.”)
A chaise lounge consists of one long cushion that’s meant to be shared–ideal for reading, watching TV, or even napping together on lazy afternoons! Read more about chaises here.
What to Look for When Buying a Couch
When it comes time to buy a couch, there are several factors you need to consider. Here are some tips on what to look for when making your purchase:
Make sure to measure the space where you plan on placing the couch and choose one that fits comfortably.
Type of Couch:
There are many different types of couches available, so be sure to choose one that meets your needs. Sofas and sectionals are perfect for larger spaces, while loveseats and chairs are great for small rooms.
The fabric of the couch is important as it will affect its comfort and durability. Leather is a popular choice as it is both durable and comfortable, but it can be expensive. If you’re on a budget, consider looking for a couch covered in microfiber or linen.
It is also important to select a couch that is the right firmness for your taste and needs. There are several different types of cushions available and choosing one can be difficult. To determine which type of cushion you prefer, try sitting on each one before making your purchase.
There are many styles of couches available, so choose one that best fits your needs and decorating preferences. For example, if you plan on placing furniture around it such as end tables, ottomans and coffee tables, choose a sectional with either an attached chaise lounge or two separate recliners at either end.
Finally, consider your budget when looking for a couch. Depending on the material you choose, you can expect to spend between $400 and $2,000. Some couches offer perks such as temperature control and remote controls in addition to their high quality in materials and construction.