The move is exciting and often overwhelming at the same time. There are so many details to consider, like packing, cleaning, moving, and trying to figure out how much everything will cost.
Variables, like how far you travel, how much stuff you need to pack and move, and how you plan to transport your household items, can impact your overall moving budget. If you’ve been wondering “how much does it cost to move?” This guide can help you decide what style of moving is best for your budget and your situation.
- 1 Hiring professional movers
- 2 Full-service moving company
- 3 Additional fees that movers may charge
- 4 Benefits of using professional movers
- 5 Disadvantages of using professional movers
- 6 Things to consider when hiring professional movers
- 7 What is the cost if I rent a truck and move?
- 8 Benefits of renting a moving truck
- 9 Disadvantages of renting a moving truck
- 10 Rental of a moving / storage container
- 11 Various elements to consider
Hiring professional movers
In general, if you hire a moving company, you will end up paying around $ 1,250 for a move under 100 miles. If you are planning a long-distance move over 1,000 miles, budget around $ 4,890 for moves across the country. These figures lay the foundation for your moving expenses; however, there are several other factors you should also consider that can quickly increase the base price.
Full-service moving company
The least stressful way to move is to hire a full service moving company. This type of service comes into your home and packs your personal effects, dismantles the furniture and loads the truck. When they arrive at your new home, they unload the truck, assemble the furniture, and unpack your belongings. In general, expect to pay around $ 1,000 more for a full-service moving company. It’s up to you whether you have the time and energy to pack and unpack your items, or if you can afford to let the company take care of everything for you.
Additional fees that movers may charge
While having a mover handle the packing and loading of your items, keep in mind that most companies charge additional fees for several things, including:
- Stairs: If you have an apartment with no elevator, or multiple flights of stairs that the movers have to climb, expect to pay an additional $ 50 or more per flight of stairs beyond the first flight.
- Elevator: When moving into a high-rise apartment, movers often have to wait for the elevator and may charge additional fees based on their hourly rates.
- Long range: Movers charge an additional fee that they calculate based on the weight of the items they need to move your stuff if the distance is over 50 to 75 feet between the truck and the driveway.
- Heavy or bulky items: Some movers may charge additional fees for very large items. For example, a pool table can cost you $ 200 to $ 600 more, and a piano can cost $ 200 to $ 400 more.
Benefits of using professional movers
Some of the main benefits of hiring a moving company include:
- Saves you precious time
- Helps reduce the stress of renting a truck and driving it to your new location
- Movers have insurance coverage for their truck and your items
- Full-service movers provide all packing material so you don’t have to buy it
- You get a refund if something happens broken or damaged
Disadvantages of using professional movers
Before hiring a moving company, consider these potential drawbacks:
- Hidden fees
- It will cost you more than if you had to rent a truck or move around
- You must respect the date and time reserved for moving
Things to consider when hiring professional movers
Before you commit to paying movers to help you, you should:
- Make sure the moving company has the proper licenses and insurance
- Make sure they use their mobile inventory for your property liability
- Make sure they follow the correct COVID-19 protocols
You also need to make sure that you understand the pricing structure of the business. Know these terms:
- Binding estimate: You only pay the indicated price without additional costs
- Estimate without commitment: You are not assured of a final cost
- Estimate not to be exceeded: You end up paying the initial quote or the final cost, whichever is less.
What is the cost if I rent a truck and move?
If you decide to rent a moving truck and get around on your own, expect to pay around $ 80 for a local move and estimate $ 1,520 for long distance. Remember, you need to add fuel, insurance, per mile charges, taxes, and a refundable deposit of around $ 150. If you do not show up for your truck rental, the company will cover part or all of your deposit. Also, if you drop off the truck late, you will have to pay a late fee.
Benefits of renting a moving truck
The benefits of moving yourself include:
- Saves you moving costs
- You can wrap things the way you like them
- You have some flexibility with your packing and moving schedule
Disadvantages of renting a moving truck
The potential disadvantages of moving instead of hiring someone include:
- Hidden fees
- High fuel costs
- Additional driver fees
- Insurance cover
- You need good credit to rent the truck
- You must know how to drive a bigger truck or van
Rental of a moving / storage container
Instead of hiring full-service movers or moving everything yourself, you can also consider a moving and storage solutions company like PODS. Companies like this offer several options to help you get to your new home. They deliver a container to hold your personal effects, which you load, and they can then deliver it to your location where you unpack it immediately, leave the container there until you are ready to unload or bring it to a secure storage facility. until you are ready to have it delivered. Prices vary depending on the size of the container, the distance of the move and the option you choose.
Various elements to consider
Here are some additional tips to keep in mind when budgeting for a move:
- Consider donating additional furniture to a charitable cause; many organizations come to your home and collect your lightly used furniture free of charge
- If you have too many things, you could make money during your move by selling it
- Consider hiring a cleaning company to make your apartment look good when you move to help you get your security deposit back.
After considering all of your options, it’s time to start looking for your next spot. Search thousands of apartments and houses for rent on Zumper and find your new home.