Even though pizza is your favorite Friday night dinner, it’s often the cause of life’s worst grease spots. “Grease is one of the most common stains I get asked about and can be one of the most difficult to remove, especially on synthetic fabrics, like polyester,” Carolyn Forte, Laboratory Director of household appliances and cleaning products from the Good Housekeeping Institute, says.
Shout advanced anti-grease foam worked best on grease in our cleaning lab tests, but if you’re at work or nowhere near a laundry room, there are a few easy remedies that will help remove fresh grease stains. Forte’s go-to product for removing grease stains on the go: dish soap. It is made to reduce the fat on your plates, so it can also help you with your clothes.
The condiments on your table can work magic too. A pinch of salt or artificial sweetener helps prevent an oil stain from getting stuck in the fabric and makes it easier to lift up when you do laundry later.
How to remove grease stains from washable clothes
Follow these six simple steps to remove new and old grease stains no matter where you are (or what oily food you spill).
- Salt or artificial sweetener
- Dishwasher soap
- Shout Advanced Grease-Busting Foam or other pre-treat
Step by step instructions
- If you’re on the go, quickly sprinkle a little salt or artificial sweetener on the stain to keep it from setting.
- Brush off the powder after a few minutes.
- At home, immediately apply a little degreasing dish soap to the stain and rinse with lukewarm water.
- When it’s time to wash it, rub it in a liquid laundry detergent or apply a pre-treatment, like Shout Advanced Grease-Fighting Foam.
- Wash in the hottest water safe for the fabric.
- Air dry the garment until you are sure the stain is completely gone.
That’s all! Consider your officially registered work shirt.
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and uploaded to this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content on piano.io