How to Get Rid of Mold

Finding those black spots of mold in your shower or basement can be alarming. Fortunately, a small amount usually won’t make you sick, but knowing how to get rid of mold and prevent it from becoming a more serious problem.

You will want to tackle the mold when it is a small area because if left unaffected it can spread to a larger area. “It can ruin household valuables and even trigger an allergic reaction,” says Carolyn Forte, director of the Good Housekeeping Institute Cleaning Lab.

Keeping the rooms in your home, like the bathroom, dry and cool can help prevent mold from growing, but despite your best efforts, mold can still grow in unwanted places. If you find yourself in a mold situation, here’s everything you need to know.

First of all, can I remove the mold myself?

You can, but mold spores can travel through the air when cleaning, so you’ll want to limit your exposure by wearing protective gear. Wear long rubber gloves to protect your hands and forearms. It is also best to wear protective eyewear, such as goggles, to prevent bleach or other cleaning products from splashing into your eyes, especially when removing mildew from ceilings or ceilings.

If the mold problem is severe and has multiple spots, it could be a sign of a larger moisture problem. If the area is large and larger than about 2 x 2 feet, you’ll want to bring in a professional to have it removed safely.

Which products are the best for removing mold?

These are our cleaning lab’s favorite mold removers, whatever the job:

    Are there any natural remedies to remove mold?

    If you are looking for a natural solution to removing mold, any of the options below will work. Keep in mind, however, that they can take longer than bleach and cannot remove stains:

    • Hydrogen peroxide: Take a spray bottle and pour a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide into the bottle. Spray the affected area, let it sit for 10 minutes, then scrub away the mold.
    • The vinegar: Pour undiluted vinegar into a spray bottle and spray the moldy area. Let it sit for an hour, then wipe the area with water and allow it to dry.

      How to Get Rid of Mold on Shower Tiles and Grout

      Shower tile and grout can be a difficult area to keep mold free, as humid and hot conditions make it a breeding ground for mold. However, small areas of mold can be removed with a grout cleaner (try one of our favorite products above!), Mold remover, or bleach solution.

      • Spray the grout, let the formula penetrate and rinse. In some cases, no scrubbing is necessary: ​​In our tests, Clorox Tilex Anti-Mold & Anti-Mold Spray killed 99.9% of mold and mildew germs and bacteria in just five minutes.

        How to remove mildew from shower curtains and liners

        • If your shower curtain or liner is plastic, a plastic-safe anti-mold spray, such as Clorox Tilex Mold and Mildew Remover, can be used to remove mold. Simply spray, wait for the stains to disappear, and rinse.
        • Another option: wash your plastic liner in the washing machine on the delicate cycle with lukewarm water, laundry detergent and bleach. If the shower curtain is fabric, it is best to wash it on the hottest setting possible according to the care instructions.

          How to remove mold from walls and ceilings

          The bad news: if the surface is very porous, like a ceiling tile, it is better to replace it. The good news: If you find small areas of mold on your drywall or plasterboard walls or ceilings, you can stop mold when it starts if you act quickly. Here’s how:

          • Clean the surface with detergent and water using a sponge or brush and let the surface dry completely.
          • Follow with a solution of water and bleach: Mix ¾ cup of bleach with one gallon of lukewarm water. Wearing rubber gloves, apply the bleach mixture to the stains with a sponge or brush.
          • Leave to stand for five minutes, scrub, rinse and air dry.

            How to get rid of mold on fabric

            Those wet towels or sportswear left in a bag create an environment where mold can thrive if left too long. If you notice mold growing on these fabric items, here’s how to get rid of it:

            • Bring the item outside and brush off excess mold to prevent mold spores from entering your home.
            • If the fabric is machine washable, Rub in liquid laundry detergent and wash on the hottest setting possible according to the care instructions with chlorine bleach or non-chlorine bleach as specified in the care instructions.
            • If the fabric is not machine washable, dry cleaning or hand washing will remove the mold.

              How to remove mold from wood

              In areas like the kitchen, where the humidity is higher when cooking or operating the dishwasher, you may find mold on your wood cabinets if the ventilation is poor. Mold can also grow on furniture and wood panels if it is damp and air circulation is poor. To remove mold from wood cabinets, panels, or furniture, follow the steps below:

              • Using a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter , suck up loose spores with the soft brush.
              • Then mix a few drops of dish detergent, like Dawn Platinum, with a gallon of water and use a cloth to apply the solution. Wet the surface to remove the mold but do not saturate it.
              • Follow up with a cloth dampened in clear water, wring it out well and wipe the surface dry. Do not leave the wood wet for too long as this may damage the finish.

                How to prevent mold growth in the first place

                According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), “there is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control humidity. Even if you clean the mold, it will come back if the room is damp and poorly ventilated or if there is excess moisture from even a small leak. Humidity levels should never exceed 50% to control mold growth.

                This means that prevention is the only permanent cure for mold. Once you’ve fixed the leaks and eliminated any moisture issues, create an environment where mold cannot grow with these tips:

                • Add a dehumidifier or two to your home. It’s best to keep indoor humidity between 30-50% to stop buildup – make sure you buy one that’s sized for the area you’re treating.
                • Open bathroom doors and windows or turn on the exhaust fan during and after showering to let the moisture escape.
                • Leave your shower curtain or liner open after showering to help keep it dry.
                • Ventilate sources that generate humidity, like bathrooms and tumble dryers, outdoors.
                • Avoid storing items in damp rooms, which can mean to keep sheets, books or furniture in your basement or attic.
                • Seal bathroom grout lines annually if you have tiling. This will help waterproof your walls and floors.

                  This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported to this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content on

Related Posts